PharmedOut is a Georgetown University Medical Center project that advances evidence-based prescribing and
educates healthcare professionals about pharmaceutical marketing practices.
Our goals are to:
- Document and disseminate information about how pharmaceutical companies influence prescribing
- Foster access to unbiased information about drugs
- Encourage physicians to choose pharma-free CME
Who We Are
PharmedOut is led by a team of academic physicians; our volunteer
network includes nurses, pharmacists, industry insiders, students and
others. Contact PharmedOut
Adriane Fugh-Berman, Director
Nicole Dubowitz, Project Manager
What We Do
We provide lectures at Grand Rounds, meetings, medical student events, and conferences such as the following:
We provide access to free, web-based, pharma-free CME – enough for any physician in the U.S to fulfill annual CME requirements without taking industry-funded courses.
PharmedOut CME Modules:
The Pharmalyzer: Are You Prescribing Under the Influence? (3.0 CME credits)
Drug Approval in the U.S. (1.0 CME credit)
Generic Drugs: Prescribing Sensibly (1.0 CME credit)
Links to more than 200 more credits of web-based, free, pharma-free CME
We provide news, information, and resources, including our own slideshows, videos, and other audio-visual material, reading recommendations, resources for unbiased drug information, factsheets, and tools for teaching--including the popular Drug Ad Bingo.
- Our slideshows are open access and available for anyone to see, download, or use (we only ask that you credit us.) Permissions
- Our Teaching tools (including Drug Ad Bingo) and Patient Factsheets (including Fast Facts on Generic Drugs and Prescription Drug Marketing: What Consumers Need to Know) are available.
- Our journal articles include:
Haunting the Medical Literature: How ghostwriting sold HRT
Why Lunch Matters
Ethical Considerations of Publication Planning in the Pharmaceutical Industry
Prescription Tracking and Public Health
Following the Script: How Drug Reps Make Friends and Influence Doctor
Off-Label Promotion, On-Target Sales
- Our PharmedOut videos, including Zyprexa Drug Rep, provide illuminating
glimpses behind the scenes through interviews with former and current
industry insiders. Transcripts are also available.
- Our news section provides a mix of mainstream and not-so-mainstream news. Subscribe to our RSS feed. Read our PharmedOut publications and media mentions.
Disclosure: Dr. Fugh-Berman is a paid expert witness in litigation regarding pharmaceutical marketing practices.